June 21, 2022: Jan.6 panel zero in on Georgia election results, EU blockade, Ukraine-EU, Native American as U.S. Treasurer, Bangladesh, India
1. The congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol will focus on then-President Donald Trump's efforts to pressure state officials as part of his broader effort to remain in office despite losing 2020's election, committee aides said.
2. Russia summoned the European Union's ambassador in Moscow, fuming over what it calls an illegal rail blockade of a Russian outpost on the Baltic Sea, the latest stand-off over sanctions imposed over the war in Ukraine.
3. Ukraine is set to become an official candidate for European Union membership in a symbolic but morale-boosting decision following Russia's invasion, ministers and diplomats said.
4. U.S. President Joe Biden announced his intention to appoint Mohegan Indian Tribe Lifetime Chief Marilynn Malerba as U.S. Treasurer, marking the first time a Native American's signature will appear on U.S. currency.
5. Floodwaters inundated more of Bangladesh and northeast India, officials said, as authorities struggled to reach more than 9.5 million people stranded with little food and drinking water after days of intense rain.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en